Scheherazaad

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I'm a Teacher for Real!!

I finally landed. On Friday August 31, I went in for an interview for a one semester History position and came out with a permanent full time Family Studies position. Four days later I was in the classroom teaching courses I had never taught before and loving it. I have two Grade 9 Individual and Family Living classes and one Grade 11 Living Spaces. They were all thrilled to hear that we would be cooking and sewing (gingerbread architecture, for Living Spaces). No one has taught sewing at this school since before the new millenium. I plan to teach sewing even if I have to do it with only one sewing machine. The eight machines here still need to be serviced. Baby steps for now but I hope to eventually bring back the Fashion classes.

For my happy dance play:
"I'm bringing sewing back!!" [sung to the melody of Justin Timberlake's "Sexy Back"]

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Harlem Purl said...

Congrats, Congrats!

2:20 p.m.  
Blogger Shameka said...

Congratulations on being a teacher!! I wish I has a sewing class in the 9th grade. Then again, I probably would have been so preoccupied with sewing that I would not be knitting as much as I do now. Well, if the machines don't work, they can always learn how to knit. Needles are much cheaper than a Singer. Tell them they are making their own fabric with shaping. They will love it. They can even get a history lesson on how knitting began, and the industrial revolution, etc.. etc.. etc..
Wow, can I send my kids to your school when they are born? That sounds like a fun school. Don't worry, you have time. No buns in the oven just yet.

9:37 p.m.  
Blogger dawn said...

oh, i am soooo extremely happy for you, girlita.

you deserve this!!!! you will freaking rawk as a teacher...and find a special niche in every one of your students' memories.

congrats!

7:34 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home