Scheherazaad

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Do the Math (Before You Knit)

I lost some time on my Honeycomb Socks because I had to unknit back a row. Unknitting an entire row of two-sock-at-the-same-time-Magic Loop is not a good time. The pattern is not multi-sized and of course I am not using the same yarn as the pattern so all numbers have been modified. I also changed the heel. So why do I expect this pattern to work? Because I just have to "do the math". Since this is a toe-up sock I can try it on as a knit. No problem. No problem if you don't get to comfortable to stop before you increase. I reached the part where I have to increase for the Honeycomb pattern stitch. I wasn't starting with the same number of stitches as the pattern so I knew I couldn't end up with the same number either. Somehow I made myself believe that I could still end up with the multiple of 12 stitches needed for the Honeycomb pattern, by randomly increasing as I knit. I did my two rows of increasing. I had too many stitches and they were not a multiple of 12. Surprise!! How could I have such misplaced faith? I took a deep breath and admitted to myself that I would have to rip back my increases. How many? I had no idea and was thankfully now convinced that improvising would not work. I got a pencil and paper and drew a diagram and started calculating. I unknit a row of increases. I recounted my stitches. I was so lucky. I could stop unknitting and proceed to knit following my calculations. Lesson learned? I could improvise one row of increases but not two? Maybe, but in the future I'll just do the math before I increase at all. Especially if I am knitting two-socks-at-the-same-time-magic-loop.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Yvette said...

I admire your fortitude.

10:33 p.m.  
Blogger Veronica said...

Wow, your brave. I bought a book last week on 2 at a time socks. It looks so intimidating. Good luck with yours.

7:44 p.m.  
Blogger Lisa said...

That right there is how you know you are advanced as a knitter - being unafraid to tink back with tricky knitting!

Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day and for leaving such nice words. Yes, one day we'll get our Snoopy... hopefully sooner than later!

8:11 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home