Scheherazaad

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I love museums. Last week I took my Ancient History class to the Royal Ontario Museum to study the ancient Egyptian and Greek collections. They all had a good time and were amazed by much of what they saw. Even though I have been to this museum many times I also learned a few new things. For example the jar above was designed for pouring water over a bather's head. The wide curved lip fits the curve of a head. My class will be making clay pots modeled on ancient Greek shapes and decoration . This one is a new form to me. The scene painted on it is a wedding scene. It appears as if the groom is literally taking or grabbing the bride by the wrist. I am a great admirer of ancient art but this is a good example of why I never dream of living in past eras.

3 Comments:

Blogger dawn said...

what a cool job...to take kids to museums and explore together. coolness on a stick!

can you imagine the effort of making an urn and painting it this intricately just for the act of pouring water over someone's head. that beats target stuff, anyday.

more, more.

7:33 a.m.  
Blogger Scheherazaad said...

Dawn, you are for real! I'm using that line in my next Greek vase lecture.

2:28 p.m.  
Blogger Theresa said...

Ever been to the MFA in Boston? They have a great antiquities collection.

2:40 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home